Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Over Her Dead Body


This past weekend, we saw Over Her Dead Body, starring Eva Longoria Parker. This is the premise of the movie, according to Movies.com: Ashley (Lake Bell) is an actual psychic who falls in love with a total skeptic, Henry (Paul Rudd). However, Henry comes with some baggage, chiefly his dead fiancée, Kate (Eva Longoria), who will stop at nothing to keep Henry single.

I went into the movie expecting nothing because I didn't think it would be amusing. I was wrong. Funny, funny movie, but like many movies that focus on what people from the beyond can see or hear, like Ghost with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, I also left this one thinking about my own believes about what Jeff can see and hear.

I'm the type of person who believes that Jeff is with me all the time. I believe he can see and hear us when he chooses to. I believe in signs. One day when I was very down early after Jeff had died, I told him at night that I hoped he knew I loved him. I got up from the bed to get a drink and find a perfect shadow of a heart on the window. The catch? It was windy that night (which was why I couldn't sleep) and there was nothing that could've made that shadow. I didn't get up 'looking' for a sign, but it stopped me in my tracks. I knew it was from him.

When Sami was almost three-years-old, we were coming home from a birthday party about three months after Jeff died. As I'm putting her in her car seat, she starts laughing and pointing out the window. I turn and look thinking someone is behind me and she says, "Daddy." Nothing was behind me and it was pitch black out because it was nighttime. Sami repeated it about three times. She saw something or someone and I knew it was Jeff. Why wouldn't it be? Before Jeff died his grandmother died. One day, Sami was giggling as she was playing on the floor and she went to hand someone something, but we weren't there. Jeff and I looked at each other from across the room and we both 'felt' like it was his grandmother, who never met Sami before she died.

I also love John Edward. I've seen him live and while some might think what he does is a trick, not me. I believe in angels. I believe that one day I'll see Jeff again.

Now for the movie, it took it to the extremes for sure, but don't you wonder what they can see? hear? change? In the movie, Eva Longoria's character had 'something to accomplish' before she moved onto heaven (but she talked too much and wasn't told what it was! LOL) and she took a guess that it was to protect her fiance from the psychic.

When Jeff first died, I started talking out loud because I felt like he was there and could hear me. Now, I talk to him in my head and in my heart, asking for guidance or just venting, because I know he's there.

What do you believe?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a novel by R. K. Narayan "The English Teacher", wherein the spirit of the teacher's late wife makes contact with him. Very touching and at times very funny. Some months ago I presented it to my 15 year old daughter. She has read it several times, I guess, and she has given the book a special place - among her mother's books - she was an English teacher herself.

May be, Robin would find some comfort in reading..

-raj